WELL-WORDED
I enjoy reading Clay Jenkinson’s essays. Today, on his “Listening to America” site he laments the Death of the Letter. Short messages, sometimes coded, sent digitally have replaced it. We have a few old family letters saved that have become valuable assets in defining who we are and from where we have come. When I run across a well-worded idea in a written piece, I might copy it down.
“Now, the hour had come for him to mobilize the English language and send it into battle.” said Edward R. Murrow re Winston Churchill shortly after he rose to leadership of England in WW2. Churchill was known for his ability to stir people to action with the power of words; he was a master in his use of the English language.
Jenkinson is pretty good himself in his use of the English language. We’ve seen him appear several times in Ken Burns historical documentaries, and his responses are always well-worded.
No comments:
Post a Comment