Pleasantly surprised today when we visited Sheldon and found a large turnout for the festivities at the Community Day. We started early with the Lions breakfast and then started looking at some of the vendors who had set up their tables. A few garage sales needed checking. While at the first sale here came a westbound train of grain cars. This train was a long as any I’ve seen come through Fargo - two diesel engines pulling and a single engine at the rear. I’ve counted 120 cars in long trains at Fargo and I think this one was about the same length. Garage sales yielded a few gets and then to main street for the classic car show. Here again surprised, I counted about three dozen shined and polished cars on both sides of the street. Among them sat Mougey’s nicely restored 1948 Chevrolet cab-over truck that we often saw around town. In the park a pen filled with animals was a draw for the young ones. A dozen or so Nigerian Dwarf goats bleated, maybe begging to be picked up and petted. A little dog in with them kept thinking he needed to herd the little goats making it a constant riot of motion. Many other activities were planned. One physical “get” I brought home with me were the snapshots I took of Sheldon’s veterans’ portraits that have been attached to the south wall. Lots of activity filled the day, I think a street dance would end the day. Just maybe the movers and shakers down there have started something that will hopefully continue for a few years. I’ve always thought that even though Sheldon doesn’t have much for businesses, it possesses a strong community identity that has not diminished.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Community Day - Aug 22, 2026
Pleasantly surprised today when we visited Sheldon and found a large turnout for the festivities at the Community Day. We started early wi...
-
An NDSU history professor, Tom Isern, and his wife, Suzzanne Kelley, the director of NDSU Press, produce a Facebook program from their ...
-
TOM MCGRATH A few lines from a Tom McGrath poem fit the picture very well. He is writing about the Maple River, I’ll guess about 1925 to 1...
No comments:
Post a Comment